PWHL Contract Breakdown
PWHL does not have a salary cap like the NHL. The detailed breakdown of the contract and salary for the first PWHL season is listed below:
- Minimum annual base salary - $35,000
- Stipend for reserve players - $15,000
- Average mandatory annual salary for each team - $55,000
- Salary for 6 top signed players - Minimum $80,000
- Minimum base salary - Increase by 3% each year
- Housing stipend per month - $1500, an increase of $100 every year
- Daily meal allowance when the team is traveling - $81
- Relocation reimbursements for new players - up to $2500
Apart from these, the collective bargaining agreement of the PWHL has also made provisions for performance bonuses for players and teams.
All the players making it to the All-Star Game will earn incentives. The All-Star Game winners will get $1500 each, while the members of the runner-up team will receive $1000 each.
The Most Valuable Player (MVP) of the league will receive a bonus of $5000. Likewise, rookie of the year, best goalie, best defender, and best forward will also receive $4000 each.
There have been promising signs in terms of payroll for female hockey players in the first season itself, and it is likely to get better and better.