How Much Do EIHL Players Make?
EIHL player salary on average ranges from 15,000 to 50,000 euros which is around 15,800 to 52,800 USD. It is the top-level ice hockey league in the UK.
For leagues that pay players less make up for it with other benefits and incentives provided like housing, car allowance, paid masters program, and more. The KHL players are some of the highest-paid players in all of the European Leagues with the average salary ranging from $70,000 - $1.6 million.
Before we look at the salaries paid by the professional leagues in Europe it is important to establish a baseline by looking at the salaries paid for players in different levels of leagues in North America mentioned below are the rough average numbers:
- National Hockey League – $750,000 to $13 million
- East Coast Hockey League ECHL – $25,000 Average
- American Hockey League AHL – $55,000 to $120,000
- Southern Professional Hockey League – $250 to $400 per week plus living expenses and housing
With the baseline established here is a look at the average salary players can expect from leagues other than the EIHL across Europe:
- llsvenskan Salary: 19,000-50,000 USD
- Denmark Metal Ligaen Salary: 17,900- 41,000 USD
- Erste Liga Salary (Hungary & Romania): 15,800-52,000 USD
- Slovakia Extraliga: 19,000-67,000 USD
- Alps Hockey League: 15,800-36,000 USD
- Poland (Polish Hockey League) Salary: 12,600-52,000 USD
- Norway Get Ligaen Salary: 23,000-52,000 USD
- ICEHL (formerly EBEL) Salary: 42,000- 158,000 USD
- UK EIHL Salary: 15,800-52,000 USD
- NLB Salary: 42,000-95,000 USD
- Czech ExtraLiga Salary: 26,000-237,000 USD
- France Ligue Magnus Salary: 15,800-42,000 USD
In a 2017 Radio Canada interview with Omar Pacha, the then-coach of the Manchester Storm mentioned the benefits of joining the EIHL Despite the average pay of 15,000 to 50,000 euros which is shorter travel time and the opportunity for players to finish their Master's degree.
"The big advantage for players to come here is that the teams offer the opportunity to complete a master’s degree while playing hockey and being paid to do so. We pay for the house, and the car, we pay for their trips, with their credit cards. Salaries may not be as high, but there are several other benefits", said Pacha mentioning all the benefits provided by the Manchester Storm of the EIHL.